Center for Cancer and Immunology Research
About the Center
In October 2017, the Center for Cancer and Immunology Research (CCIR) had a time of transition with the appointment of a new Center Director, Catherine M. Bollard, M.D., M.B.Ch.B., and extensive restructuring of the leadership and management infrastructure which consisted of the creation of an Executive Committee with eight members representing all the key components of research as well as center and business administration.
Since that time the Center has made major research advances preclinically and clinically with key advances in the understanding of key signaling pathways involved with brain tumor development, as well as major advances in translational research with several key first-in-human studies opened utilizing novel cell therapies for the treatment of cancer, as well as life threatening viral infections.
Our mission is to drive groundbreaking basic and clinical research to benefit children with cancer, infection, blood and immune-related disorders.
Our vision is that personalized cures for cancer, immune disorders and blood diseases are available for every child.
New Frontiers in Cancer Immunotherapy
The Center for Cancer and Immunology Research explores new methods of cancer immunotherapy by reprogramming a patient's own immune cells so they learn to recognize and destroy only cancer cells.
Cancer Biology and Experimental Cancer Therapy
Cell Enhancement and Technologies for Immunotherapy Program
Food Allergy Program
Micro and Nanotechnology for Cancer Biology and Therapeutics
Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Catherine Bollard, M.D., M.B.Ch.B.
- Interim Executive Vice President and Chief Academic Officer
- Interim Director, Children's National Research Institute
Conrad Russell Y. Cruz, M.D., Ph.D.
- Principal Investigator, Program for Cell Enhancement and Technologies for Immunotherapies (CETI)
Patrick J. Hanley, Ph.D.
- Chief and Director, Cellular Therapy Program
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Michael Keller, M.D.
- Director, Translational Research Laboratory - CETI
- Director, Jeffrey Modell Diagnostic and Research Center for Primary Immunodeficiency Disorders
Yanxin Pei, Ph.D.
- Principal Investigator
Brian R. Rood, M.D.
- Director, Clinical Neuro-Oncology
- Medical Director, Brain Tumor Institute
Yuan Zhu, Ph.D.
- Scientific Director and Endowed Professor, Gilbert Family Neurofibromatosis Institute
- Professor of Pediatrics, George Washington University
Highlights from the Center
Our experts play an active role in innovative and prestigious clinical trials to advance the science of pediatric cancer care. We offer your child access to novel cancer clinical trials, some of which are only available at Children’s National.
Children's National Research Institute investigators have access to state-of-the-art centralized areas of technology and expertise. Learn more about our core facilities.